“The youth of today are not as superficial as some think. They want to know what life is really all about . . . [So], by all means continue to talk with each other about your faith . . . Yes, you need to be more deeply rooted in the faith than the generation of your parents so that you can engage the challenges and temptations of this time with strength and determination . . . You yourselves are the Body of Christ, the Church! Bring the undiminished fire of your love into this Church whose countenance has so often been disfigured by man . . . ‘Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I send you you shall go, and whatever I command you you shall speak.'” (Jer 1:7)
Pope Benedict XVI, from his Foreword to the Youth Catechism of the Catholic Church (“YouCat”)
ST. LUCIAN YOUTH SOCIETY (9-12 Faith Formation)
The St. Lucian Youth Society is the new youth group for the Proto-Cathedral of St. James the Greater. It’s mission is three-fold:
1. To help MOLD the minds of our youth toward the reasonability of what us Christians profess to believe.
2. To help DEVELOP the hearts of our youth in having a burning desire to know, love, and serve God and His people.
3. To help ELEVATE the inner and outer voices of our youth, in order that they might find authentic peace, joy, and love, whenever they pray, worship, and adore God, especially whenever they adore Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.
WHO ARE OUR MEMBERS?
The adolescents of the Proto-Cathedral of St. James the Greater; that is, those young men and women who are in High School (between the ages of about 14-17 years old).
WHEN DO MEMBERS MEET?
Beginning September 2017, members of the St. Lucian Youth Society will meet every Wednesday evening from 5:30pm – 7:30pm.
WHAT DO MEMBERS DO?
The members of the St. Lucian Youth Society will:
1. Engage in lively discussions concerning matters of theology, philosophy, moral/ethical questions, as well as topics which are so crucial to the particular challenges teenagers face.
2. Pray. They will engage in spontaneous prayer, common prayers, prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament, and prayer with Adoration and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament.
3. Sing. They will sing songs of worship together, as an outward sign of their interior devotion of our Lord.
3. Serve the people of the Proto-Cathedral, and the people of our society in general.
4. Evangelize with fervor, courage, and great love. This will mostly entail participation in many of our Street Evangelization Team efforts.
5. Engage in fruitful and fun fellowship, in order to build up love for each other, inasmuch as we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.
Additionally, as a manifestation of point #3 above, and in conjunction with our youth who will be celebrating the Sacrament of Confirmation, our members will be performing SERVICE PROJECTS throughout the year. Some of these service project events may coincide with service projects planned out with the Vancouver Area Young Adults (V.A.Y.A.).
WHO ARE OUR SOCIETY YOUTH MINISTERS?
Mr. Daniel Oberreuter
(Bio to follow)
Mr. Kevin Chaney
(Bio to follow)
Our high school theology classes begin in September and ending in May. We welcome all teens in the parish to learn about the faith in a way they can apply to their life as Catholics. The classes are very comprehensive, utilizing the Didache Series of theological texts and are distributed as follows:
- 9th Grade: Faith & Revelation / The Blessed Trinity
- 10th Grade: The Mystery of Redemption / The Church
- 11th Grade: The Sacraments / Our Moral Life in Christ
- 12th Grade: Understanding the Scriptures / The History of the Church
All teens aged 16 or older who would like to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation are to attend these classes throughout the school year, normally during the 11th Grade.